H i s d a i l y v a r i e t y

My Daily Views on the World!


Damn The Laundry really is dirty!

Despite three sold out weekend performances and a considerable $12,000 weekend gross, the management at Manhattan's Clearview Chelsea Theater made the highly unusual decision to pull the plug on Maurice Jamal's Dirty Laundry, which stars Rockmond Dunbar and Loretta Devine. Theater Management "expressed concern that 'the producers may have bought the gross' ", reports Keith Boykin, who is the associate producer of the film and his partner Nathan H. Williams is the executive producer. Our review of the film and interview with director Maurice Jamal is in the current issue of The Advocate.

"They expressed suspicion because there were $1,500 in advance ticket sales for Sunday before the theater opened," Keith adds. "I hate to say it, but this smacks of racism, plain and simple. Black LGBT people have to fight every step of the way just to get a movie into the theaters, and even then, the theater owners would rather lose money than continue running a successful black LGBT movie. That makes no sense."


A friend and I went and saw the film Monday night. It was a delight to say the least. I'm a little confused at the moment, as to why? In Hollywood, it’s about money! Dollar and cents, does racism overcome money? From what I've seen nothing trumps the all mighty dollar. So to have a successful film at a theater in the heart of Chelsea the gayest area of New York City, I’m truly in limbo. There is a greater force working here! On one hand the movie allegedly had no marketing plan. There was no rolling release...and the movie was not pulling people in after the wknd...it cost a lot to show movies...especially when folks aren’t showing up. There where no previews which I've never seen in my life but you get previews when you are backed by a major party, because people will come to a major release and see your preview which makes sense. We will see where this goes. I wish all the people that had there hand in this first-rate flick, the best of luck!

5 Responses to “Damn The Laundry really is dirty!”

  1. # Blogger fuzzy

    I will try my best to see it this afternoon. I do not want to miss my opportunity. I am interested in writing my own review... Stay tuned! :-)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    to be continued...  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Jared..saw the movie on Wednesday..the theater was 90% EMPTY..maybe that's why they pulled the plug ? Love MoJam and Nathan but i'm just saying.....  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Well put Jared. The sad thing is somehow the theater was vilified for trying to make a buck. Give me a break. Lick your wounds...market the damn movie..and move on.
    That said.. I think the movie was well worth the wait and I plan to see it as many times as I can until it is released on DVD. Bravo M. Jamal!!!  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    why are people so damn quick to pull the race card? punks by patrick ian wasn't pulled like that, and it was a black lgbt movie  

Post a Comment


Web This Blog
Jared Paul Shuler

Create Your Badge

Links

  • Not UR Average
  • Dreams In A Fitted
  • Blogger.com
  • Yahoo.com






XML

Powered by Blogger



© 2006 H i s d a i l y v a r i e t y | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health